Thelma Hut is located in the beautiful San Juan Mountains of Southwestern Colorado, along US Highway 550, between Ouray and Silverton. The parking area, trailhead and access road are just south of Red Mountain Pass.
The Hut is located over a small rise in lower Porphyry Basin, ½ mile directly west of Highway 550. Winter access is snowshoe or skin-up from U.S. Highway 550. There is no marked trailhead. The parking area is six tenths of a mile south of Red Mountain Pass near the Addie S. Cabin. You will notice highway closure gate at the parking area. The winter skin trail to the Thelma starts on the west side of Highway 550 across from that parking area. Summer access is hike-up or drive-up with high-clearance AWD or 4 wheel-drive vehicle via access road 822/CR65, just south of the Black Bear Pass Trailhead (access road 823). A steel gate marks the property entry.
The closest landmarks to the parking area are:
- Red Mountain Pass Summit – 0.6 of a mile north
- Silverton – 9 miles south
- Ouray – 14 miles north
The closest airports:
- Montrose Regional Airport – 52 miles north
- Durango-LaPlata County Airport – 71 miles south
- Albuquerque International Airport – 275 miles via 550/I25
- Denver International Airport – 369 miles via 550/50/I70
Come experience the beauty of the San Juans
Check out our booking calendar for availability.